For the first challange of the Historical Sew Fortnightly "make do and mend" I needed to mend my new pink tea gown. I managed to wear it twice with a piece of trim missing and so I mended it. I also cleaned and pressed the dress so it will be ready to go the next time I want to wear it.
Here is my dress, notice the bottom left of the photo the trim is missing.
this trim is made by cutting a 3 inch piece of fabric on the bias and cut with a pinking blade for a rotary cutter.
A close up to show the edges.
Then the trim is hand sewn onto the dress. This trim is part of trying a new era for me. I am most comfortable in the Victorian Bustle eras. So I am working up my courage to try the 18th century.
Here is te trim all sewn on.
And thats that, one tea gown mended, cleaned and ready to wear again when needed.
Pattern: trim is made of pinch pleats, sized by eye.
Year: The dress pattern is 1878 tea gown from Truly Victorian
This mend took about 1.5-2 hours. Split between the trim and cleaning and pressing.
Total cost $0 as the trim and thread were already purchased when the dress made.